Break the Barriers certifies all of its swim instructors using the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program.
We are excited to help students of all abilities improve their swimming skills! The students will be taught by the Certified Water Safety Instructors through the American Red Cross. This combines the best in swim instruction with a strong emphasis on drowning prevention and water safety. Our coaches work to improve students’ swimming skills through kicking, technique work, and stroke practice. Courses are available for a variety of ages and skill levels to develop strong, competitive swimmers; encourage healthy, lifelong recreational habits; and to help keep your family safe. If you have questions about the Aquatics program, please contact us!
*Due to COVID Restrictions some students may require an adult to be with them during the class. See the ofﬁce for more information.
New student registration fee:
Group Classes – once a week
Private Classes – once a week
*Additional private lessons
Elite Squad – 45minutes
Basic Water Rescue Certification Class
*Check with office for more details
To participate in our programs, first check with our office staff for class availability by calling (559) 432-6292, then fill out the Child Liability Waiver (for students under 18yrs) or the Adult Liability Waiver (for students 18yrs+). In addition to the Liability Waiver, all Aquatics students must also fill out the Aquatics Registration and Waiver. Once you have submitted the forms, contact the office to secure a space in class. All new students must pay a $35 registration fee, which includes a t-shirt.
Sometimes a doctor’s release is required to participate if a student has specific physical or medical conditions such as (but not limited to) heart conditions, epilepsy, or bone and joint issues. Please contact us if you have questions about specific medical conditions.
Parent & Child
- Ages 6 months to 3 years
- Focuses on helping swimmer feel comfortable in the water and teaching how to safely climb out of the water
Preschool | Levels 1-3
- Ages 3 to 5 years
- Focuses on more independence in the pool, building confidence in putting face under the water, back floating, learning how to safely climb out of the pool, and basic swimming strokes
Learn-to-Swim | Levels 1-6
- Ages 5 years to adult
- Focuses on the basics of kicking and water safety all the way up to mastery of strokes and endurance building
Basic Water Rescue Certification
Basic Water Rescue provides parents and caregivers with the knowledge and skills necessary to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatics emergencies. This course meets the State of California’s water safety certification requirements for foster care and adoptive parents.
Spectrum Swim Program
Students on the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) begin their swim experience with a private lesson. This is required for safety, and to ensure that the student will be placed in the correct level when the coach determines that they are ready for a group class.
- Water resistant sunscreen
- One-piece bathing suits (mandatory for all female students, including parents)
- Swimmers who are in LTS3 and above must wear a swim cap
- Swimmers in lower level classes, we ask that their hair is tied back
- Pool Rules
- No running
- No diving
- Walk around the pool deck
- Only enter the water feet first
- Supervise your child: Our coaching staff’s number one priority is for the safety of all swimmers so we ask you to keep an eye on them too. In partnership with Dr. Mike Allshouse and Valley Children’s Hospital, we are a no cell phone zone and request that you refrain from using your cell phone during your child’s swim class unless you are taking pictures of your swimmer. Please be attentive to your swimmer before, during, and after class
At the beginning of each class, students will be taught an American Red Cross topic that will educate them on how to be safe in and around the pool. After this, they will start to learn their lesson with a review of skills previously mastered and then begin learning new skills or techniques that will improve their swimming abilities.
If your child is afraid to go under water, we will never force him/her to go under. However, we do encourage everyone to overcome their fears. We have an array of fun and creative ways to help your child achieve mastery over water, from blowing bubbles and diving for toys, to flying through the butterfly stroke. We earnestly seek success for your child! Our swim lessons will help each student learn at a pace that is comfortable, and will help those who may have forgotten the skills they learned last summer to catch up quickly.
There are no classes scheduled for Aquatics
There are currently no events
We can tell that every coach our son has ever been with has been super invested, supercaring, super patient, and it’s just really nice to see.-Aquatics Parent
We strive to prepare our staff to effectively work with and teach children of all abilities to be in a class with other students. All staff are required to attend workshops where they:
- Trained in an ability awareness class with co-founder, Deby Hergenrader
- Familiarized with ASD
- Learn how to use PECs, a structured schedule, social stories, and the Timed Timer
- Co-teach spectrum classes with a trained staff member
Thank you to our MAJOR sponsors